Friday, August 26, 2005

Outlook index

A hopeful student asked the other day what I thought were the prospects for someone coming into the magazine business. She wasn't asking if she'd get rich, only if she had a reasonable shot at making a career and a living. I realized that I didn't have a very good handle on the attitudes of people working in the business so perhaps we should start trying to nail down an outlook or expectations index for magazines.

Here's how it could work:

Indicate one of three possible responses by replying to this post (click on the word Comments below) with a number:
1. I expect things to get worse
2. I expect things to stay pretty much as they are
3. I expect things to get steadily better
If you want to remain anonymous, click on that selection before sending.

If enough people tell me what they are thinking, I'll report back.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

2

9:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1, of course.

Eevn if magazines survive advertisers' love affair with sound, motion, interactivity and direct response, consumers have trouble paying regularly for print. This means magazine publishers will never be able to pay decent salaries. (And they're bad enough already!)

1:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home