Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Donna Clark has resigned from St. Joseph Media

Donna Clark, the president of St Joseph Media, has resigned effective December 1. She was hired in August last year and started at St Joseph in September. Now, with a week's notice and barely 14 months after she started, she is leaving.

[UPDATE: Mastheadonline (sub req'd) has published a brief interview with Clark, who says her departure was her choice, for a number of reasons.
“I’m at that life stage: my husband is semi-retired; I have two kids, both in university now, so there’s sort of an empty nest. So, I really took stock after working here a year. It’s great; I love the people and I love the brands but, as I said to my husband, it’s just [sometimes] I start to feel like I’m going to run out of gas a little bit, and it’s time to ask, ‘Ok, what’s in this for me in terms of life.’ …It’s not 24 -7 but sometimes it feels like that. You’re always on, you’re always thinking about it. You’re always trying to figure out what’s next. When I look at that wheel of balance and I see that three quarters of my waking life is about St. Joseph Media and a quarter is about driving to and from and trying to maintain relationships and stuff, it’s just not enough. So, I’m fortunate that I can [step back] and, why not? ”

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She will be greatly missed.

7:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who's going to do the story about how that company works (and doesn't work)?

Was it that custom mags (especially funded by tobacco cos.) were the cash cow that tipped over?

Hard to imagine that Saturday Night and Shift couldn't have both survived and thrived in a web format.

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That company is a total mess and a revolving door for executives who find it hard to meet the unreal expectations of the owners

9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the owners should stick to printing and get out of the publishing world which they know nothing about.

8:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ownership connection between magazine printers and multi-title magazine publishers is rather common, actually. I don't know which direction the causality runs, but the correlation is striking.

7:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will she be taking with her the many top executives she hired and to do who knows what?

let's just remember that that place only became a revolving door when she started there...

11:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's like Deja Vu... reading about Donna Clark. Sounds very familar - it's like all of the BIG Canadian publishing companies are "restructuring" - it's a scary and frustrating time

3:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard rumours that a number of people were fired from St. Joseph this week. Anyone know if that's true?

6:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a few people were canned from Rogers B2B.

10:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard of one poor soul who lost her job at St. Joes recently...a clerical person in circulation with 20 years of service to the company

3:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There have been many people who have been let go over the past two to three weeks. Hard to know the total number as a formal list has not been distributed to the remaining staff. It is not a happy place to work. Who knows what will happen now with Donna no longer there. She appeared to have a plan for the company, but now its anyone's guess.

9:34 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home