Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Wanna drink and watch? Magawards moves to premium tables and tiered pricing

The National Magazine Awards, which has evolved over the past 30 years from a $50 a ticket, bun-tossing brawl where the presenter was paid with a case of Scotch into the slick and swish multi-media event it is now, is evolving still further.

A few years back it moved form being a sit-down dinner to being a "grazing" experience from food stations in the Carlu, followed by an auditorium presentation of the awards themselves, Everybody paid the same.

Now attendees are to be given three, differently priced options (tickets go on sale May 1) for the event which is held the evening of June 15.
  • Reserved ten-seated round tables upfront in the Concert Hall ($1,350 per table or $135 per seat in advance, $1,500 per table after May 15) with the added benefit of being able to pre-order wine or champagne to enjoy during the awards ceremony.
  • For $90 per ticket, individuals can reserve a seat in the Carlu’s 464-seat upper-level theatre overlooking the Concert Hall. Alcohol is not permitted in this section.
  • Or for $75 per ticket, individuals can watch the awards ceremony on closed-circuit monitors from the Carlu’s elegant Round Room, where a cash bar will remain open during the gala.
(The latter option will probably suit those who inevitably bail into the lobby partway through the event.)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Yes, but we will be insulted again by the same trailer-park-chic food as last year? Nothing says class like mini hamburgers, mini french fries and mini white bread grilled cheese sandwiches.

The chocolate fountain, however, was fantastic. Give me a chocolate fountain and I'm anybody's.

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me white trash, but I liked the food last year.

4:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't use that term but I will call you a sad hipster.

10:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are 12 grain, organic, fair trade, mini, grilled-brie sandwinces okay?

That's enough to make any hipster happy.

12:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact Debbie, if you knew me, you'd know I'm the farthest thing from a hipster ever. I just happen to like comfort food, even at "classy" events.

How is that "sad"? Why personally insult me?

3:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are being over sensitive. Employ your sense of humour. Plus, you started insulting yourself.

I also like comfort food, but 125 bones for burgers and fries is ridiculous.

10:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was "insulting myself" (by calling myself white trash), I was, in fact, "employing my sense of humour."

Anyhow, as much as I like the food, $125 is a lot. I never think about the price because my employer covers it.

12:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie I am enjoying kvetching about the food now, because it's better than worrying about what to wear. Since I pay my own way, I'll be happy to see the return of the rubber chicken.

You really like the chocolate fountain? It was ruined for me after seeing a bunch of 8-year-olds sticking their hands in one on Mother's Day up in Banff. Never the same after that.

2:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about chocolate fountain is that it is WAY better than it sounds. Before I had ever actually had chocolate fountain the idea of it kind of grossed me out. But, when I finally got the chance to taste chocolate fountain, it BLEW MY MIND!

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's pretty mindblowing, D. You gotta make sure though it doesn't end up dripping on your clothes, or your cleavage. Although with the latter, thre's probably some nice hipsters hanging about happy to take care of it. Ah, I love the NMAs.

4:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Although with the latter, thre's probably some nice hipsters hanging about happy to take care of it"

Let's hope so!

6:28 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home