Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Azure lures 2-year subs with a handmade Italian collectible

Azure, the Toronto-based bimonthly design, architecture and interiors magazine, has taken subscription premium offers to a whole other level. People who sign up for a 2-year subscription get one of 2,000 rubber silicone fish especially designed for the magazine by Italian designer Gaetano Pesce (whose name means 'fish'). It's made of plastic resin and polyester fibre and each one is individually hand-made.

The magazine's current issue contains an article on Pesce and his almost 40-year career.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, a rubber fish. Just what I've always wanted.

4:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like crap to me.

8:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice, very nice.

Moron #1 is a jaded cynic

Moron #2 is a foul-mouthed cynic

I'm so glad I come here to learn something

9:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They may be cynics, but they also may have a right to be. Azure's owners have screwed a lot of people around...What goes around comes around. That place has a revolving door.

11:27 am  
Blogger Jon Spencer said...

I think some of the earlier commenters may not be in Azure's demographic target market, or else they'd be sayin' "A rubber fish! wow!"

I, for one, am thinking it might be time to send in a 2-year order.

4:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just not my cup of fur.

12:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, the premium is, like so many other premiums, useless (just a little more useless). But in this case it also happens to be absurd. Who wants a fluorescent rubbery fish?

The owners are known to be terrible people, but that has nothing to do with the the quality of the premium.

4:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Jon. While premiums are a good idea especially when well targeted, I don't think this one is.

I think people who are turned on by good design are turned on because the purposeful object is made beautiful. This is neither use nor ornament.I doubt a useless "fluorescent rubbery fish" will convince any consumer to shell out 50 bones to subscribe.

If the object had some use, I would agree. But you can't do anything with it.

9:54 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home